Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Pepper



My 13 year old Miniature Schnauzer, Pepper, was diagnosed with liver cancer towards the end of last year. We have recently been smacked in the face with the realization that he is in his final days. Actually, tomorrow we take him to the vet and believe she is going to tell us it's time.

I think we know it's time, but it's hard to close that kind of chapter in your life by choice.

I got Pepper as a cheer up/birthday gift after I came home from Radford broken. It was a miserable year for the most part and when I came home, my parents tried many things to cheer me up. Pepper was a real light for me then and one of the main things that helped me through that time. He would untie my shoes, try to sleep on my head, sit on the bath rug and wait for me to get out of the shower, go anywhere I would go in the jeep, and much much more. He really was that perfect companion and friend.

Over the last couple of years, we could tell that his health was starting to fail, but we chalked it up to getting older. When we found out he had cancer, we were stunned but it made sense. He had become distant and just wanted to mainly be by himself. This has been very hard to watch and tomorrow will extremely difficult. Please keep us all in your prayers.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I am so sorry Jamie, I know how hard this is for you guys. You are in my prayers. I love you.
Cathy