Thursday, September 25, 2008

Pepper


Lately, our almost 13 year old Miniature Schnauzer’s health has been rapidly declining.

I got Pepper when I was 18 and when Larry came along, Pepper and I were a package deal, couldn’t have one without the other. He used to go everywhere with me and was definitely one of my very best friends. He would hike with me and we would go to the park just so he could run the trails. He would run a ways a head and then sprint back and look at me as if to say, “What is taking you so long?” He was so good natured and sweet and the way he looked at me told me that he understood whatever I was talking about. I also had this sense that he loved to be with me as much as I loved being with him. He used to always want to sit in my lap, walk right beside me (or under foot), and sleep in the curve of my back.

Sadly, most of that has changed as Pepper has gotten older.

He seems confused, runs into doors and furniture, can’t hear, stares off into space, doesn’t particularly come around much, and growls more than he used to (he also can’t hold his bladder or bowels anymore). I think the time has come to have a conversation with our Vet and see if Pepper is in any pain. Just the thought of having to make any decision where the end result is Pepper not being physically in our lives anymore weighs extremely heavy on my heart.

No comments: