Monday, December 8, 2008

Ghoti Hook

You would have thought that by age 31 I would have grown up and that my music tastes would have changed. Well, I recently found a mixed CD that an old friend Linus made for me when I think I had just finished my freshman year in college. He and Peter Ear digitally mastered it and even made an awesome cover for it. Definitely good times.



When I heard one song by Ghoti Hook it took me back, way back. I can remember being with Jill listening to this Christian Rock/Punk band in an upstairs room of sorts in the old Spanky's building downtown. Jill, do you remember that? I loved Ghoti Hook. Correction, I think I still love Ghoti Hook and who would have guessed that after 10 years I would still know all the words? Weird what our minds log and hang on to. Ask me what I did a week ago and sadly, the answer is “not a clue”.

There were also tons of fun time during this period in my life. Jennifer and John D. taught our Sunday School class at church and they offered so many fun activities that allowed us to be our goofy selves while surrounding us with Christian teaching and love. I can remember pie tasting and wearing one, dressing up like our favorite SS teachers right down to Jill being their scary devil child, CathyJo being a pretty hot soccer player and I was a pretty sassy pregnant teacher. I can also remember spending time at the beach both with the SS class and with Jill, Ed, and Jason and visiting Mount Trashmore was it? I remember “the movie” that night at the hotel. LOL!

As my mind wonders back to those days, I smile. I can also remember singing into a hair brush, road trips that seemed like they would never end, falling on my face on a sand volleyball court, and random and free things that we found fun. Well, just a little walk down memory lane, to a time that was simple and fun. Ah the memories.

5 comments:

Jill said...

you rock!!!!
I can almost hear the Ghoti Hook stuff....but it's a blur.
We were cool, eh?
those were the days!
:-)

Anonymous said...

I remember the "pie contest" we had at the Donaldsons house and I made a fake pie and smashed it into someone's face! I dont remember who it was though. Fun times...I wish I was around for more of it!

I posted to you last entry but it did not show up...We will be in town Christmas eve, until Sunday. I hope we can all work out a time to meet!
Cathy-jo

Jamie said...

Yes, I "wore" the fake pie. You or Jill asked me to smell it that that was one of the categories for the contest. Of course, trusting me, bent over to give it a sniff and wham. Right in my face. Thanks a lot Jo. :o)

Anonymous said...

HA HA it was you!!!!!
Cat

Anonymous said...

I have photo evidence of some of those fun memories! I remember that you guys liked to walk the edge... to see how much you could get by with and still be on our good side! And all in good fun, we loved it! (and to think we used the name Jill!) Conversations about placenta and breast pumps were memorable!